Avocado is a stone fruit which grows in a warm climate. It has a tough skin of colours ranging from green to brown on the outside and comes in an egg shape. It has a creamy texture which comes from healthy fat that will leave you feeling full and satiated.
Country of Origin
- Best ways to enjoy:
- • Season the avocadoes with a pinch of salt and pepper & eat it as it is.
- • Cut it into chunks and drizzle it with a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pepper, and salt.
- • Add diced avocado to your eggs while they’re cooking in a pan
- • Substitute regular spreads like butter and margarine with avocados to boost the nutrients level in your meal.
- • Add it into your smoothies, ice cream and salad
- • Grilled
- • Pickled
- Stage of ripeness of an Avocado & ways to store:1) Unripe: Does not yield to gentle pressure.
- Colour: Bright green colour
- Days to ripe: 4-5
- Store these avocados at room temperature2) Almost ripe: Softer feel but will not quite yield to firm gentle pressure. When cut, the seed will usually be difficult to remove and its flesh will be firm and difficult to mash.
- Colour: May vary from green to brown
- Days to ripe: 1-2
- Store these avocados at room temperature3) Ready to eat: Yields to firm gentle pressure. Feels lightly soft.
- Colour: Darker color
- Store in the refrigerator to prevent the fruit from becoming overripe or spoiled. Consume within 1-2 days.4) Overripe: Feels very mushy when touched. May have darker yellow or brownish colored flesh. Spoiled overripe fruit will have a rancid smell.How to store fresh-cut UNRIPE avocadoes?
- • Sprinkle the exposed flesh of the avocado with lemon or lime juice
- • Place the two halves back together and cover tightly with clear plastic wrap before placing in the refrigerator
- • Check the avocado periodically to see if it has softened up enough to eatHow to store fresh-cut RIPEN avocadoes?
- • Sprinkle cut, mashed or sliced fruit with lemon or lime juice or another acidic agent
- • Place in an air-tight container or tightly covered clear plastic wrap
- Note: The fruit can be stored in your refrigerator for a day.How to store guacamole?
- • Place it in an air-tight container and press clear plastic wrap on the surface of the guacamole before covering to help prevent oxidation
- • Store in the refrigerator
- • If refrigerated guacamole or fruit turns brown during storage, discard the top oxidized layer and enjoy the rest