- Sweet corn is a grain plant originated from southern Mexico. Its kernels are tender, delicious and eaten as a vegetable in many cuisines worldwide.Health benefits:
- • Includes the antioxidants beta-carotene and lutein: Prevents eye diseases and improves eyesight
- • Rich in fibre: Boost digestive health
- • Vitamin E: Essential for promotion of growth and immune system
Country of Origin
- Ways to enjoy:
- • Sautéed with your favourite seasonings and cook for 5 minutes. Serve warm.
- • Grilled
- • Use it as part of the ingredients into making corn chowder
- • Steamed
- Refrigerating fresh sweet corn:
- • Wrap the corn in a damp paper bag
- • Place the corn in a resealable plastic bag: Squeeze out as much of the air inside as possible, then seal it up.
- • Keep the bagged corn in the refrigerator for up to a weekFreezing the sweet corn:
- • Shuck the corn: Strip away the loose leaves from the outside of the husk.
- • Blanch the corn for 7-10 minutes: Allow it to boil between 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the size of the corn.
- • Move the blanched corn to an ice bath: It should sit in the ice bath for roughly the same amount of time they were boiled, between 5-10 minutes.
- • Dry off the corn with paper towels
- • Seal the corn in an airtight plastic zipper bag
- • Freeze the corn for up to 1 year: Thaw the corns to just above room temperature before using them to prepare your favourite dishes or add them straight to a pot of boiling water if you plan on serving them on the cob.