1kg chicken legs (bone-in and skin on)
125ml soya sauce
125ml white vinegar
1 tbsp whole black peppercorns
6 – 10 garlic cloves, crushed
4 bay leaves
125ml coconut milk
1 tbsp cornstarch*
3 – 4 stalks of spring onion, chopped for garnishing
*Available at your nearest FairPrice store
- Combine the soy sauce, vinegar, peppercorns, garlic and bay leaves with the chicken. Leave to marinate for at least 4 – 8 hours.
- Transfer the chicken in its marinade to the Dutch oven. Cover and roast the chicken skin-side up in the oven for about 35 – 40 minutes at 220°C, then remove the cover during the last 10 – 15 minutes to help make the skin crispy.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the oven after cooking. Set aside the chicken, leaving the marinade and juices in the Dutch oven.
- Mix together a slurry of coconut milk, cornstarch and water.
- Place the Dutch oven on the stove over medium heat. “Deglaze” the pan with the slurry and cook until the sauce is thickened and glossy for about 3 -5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and garnish generously with spring onions. Serve with some rice!
If you do not have a Dutch oven, you can use any baking pan. However, ensure that it is covered tightly with aluminium foil and remove the foil during the last 10 – 15 minutes of cooking as well. You can choose to strain the sauce if you prefer not to have peppercorns in the final dish; for a less sour flavour, you can also reduce the amount of vinegar slightly.