For salting cabbage:
1.3kg Napa Cabbage*
40g Kosher Salt
For making porridge:
2 cups Water
2 tbsp Glutinous Rice Flour
2 tbsp Sugar
2 cups Radish matchsticks
1 cup Carrot matchsticks
1 cup chopped Green Onions*
1 cup chopped Chives
Seasonings and spices:
24 pcs Garlic Gloves, minced
2 tsp Ginger, minced
1 medium Onion, minced
½ cup Fish Sauce
¼ cup fermented Salted Shrimp (saeujeot)*
2 cups Hot Pepper Flakes (gochugaru)
*Available at your nearest FairPrice store.
- To split a cabbage in half. Cut a slit through the core of each half, 2 inches above the stem. You want the cabbage leaves to be loose but still attached to the core.
- Put the cabbage in a large basin of water to get them wet. Sprinkle the salt between the leaves by lifting up every leaf. Use more salt closer to the stems, where the leaves are thicker.
- Let the cabbages rest for 2 hours. Turn over every 30 minutes.
- After 2 hours, wash the cabbage halves a few times under cold running water and remove any salt and dirt.
- Cut off the cores, and put them in a strainer to drain off the excess water.
- Combine the water and the sweet rice flour in a small pot. Mix well with a wooden spoon and let it cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes until it starts to bubble. Add the sugar and cook for 1 more minute. Remove from the heat and let it cool off completely.
- Pour cooled porridge into a large mixing bowl. Add garlic, ginger, onion, fish sauce, fermented salted shrimp, and hot pepper flakes. Mix well until it turns into a thin paste. Add the radish, carrot, green onion and chives.
- Spread the kimchi paste on each cabbage leaf, ensuring that all leaves are covered. Fold it and put into a container.
- Chill for 2 hours and enjoy!