150g Long grain rice
1 clove Garlic
2.5cm piece Ginger
6 Spring onions
A few sprigs Fresh coriander*
2 fresh Red chillies
250g Beef topside or steak
1 handful Exotic mushrooms, such as Japanese enoki, shiitake
2 large Free-range eggs
Low-salt soy sauce
1 Lime (Optional)
*Available at your nearest FairPrice store.
- Cook the rice according to the packet instructions, then drain, spread out on a tray and leave to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, peel the garlic and ginger, and trim and quarter 4 spring onions, then place in the mini chopper. Pick most of the coriander leaves, add 1½ chillies (deseed if you like), then pulse to a paste.
- Slice the beef thinly into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of groundnut oil in a wok or large frying pan over a high heat, add beef and stir-fry for 1 minute or until it starts to brown.
- Add the paste, tear in the mushrooms, and fry for 2 minutes, then add the cooled rice and stir-fry for 2 further minutes, or until the rice is piping hot.
- Meanwhile, trim and finely slice the remaining spring onions and chilli.
- Push the contents of the pan to one side, then crack the eggs into the empty space, stirring to break them up.
- When the eggs are just cooked but still soft, toss through the rice and remove from the heat.
- Season to taste with fish and soy sauces, add the sesame oil, then scatter over the coriander, spring onions and chilli. Serve with lime wedges on the side for squeezing over, if you like.
Credit: Recipe © Jamie Oliver. Photography © Jamie Oliver Enterprises Limited, by Gus Filgate.