1 Small roasted beetroot
Canned chickpeas or Cooked chickpeas
1 Large lemon (zested)
1/2 Large lemon (juiced)
1 Healthy pinch salt and black pepper
2 Large cloves garlic (minced)
2 tbsp Tahini
1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil
Veggie “chips”: 1 cucumber, sliced OR 1 Indian brinjal, sliced
- Soak 150g of chickpeas overnight.
- Scrub and wash the beetroot. Drizzle a bit of olive oil or avocado oils then roast the beets in a oven-safe dish for 60 minutes at 190 C.
- Boil the soaked chickpeas for 45 minutes.
- Once your beet is cooled and peeled, quarter it and place it in your food processor. Blend until only small bits remain.
- Add remaining ingredients except for olive oil and blend until smooth.
- Drizzle in olive oil as the hummus is mixing.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve it as an appetizer with crackers or with veggies as an afternoon snack.
• For cucumbers, slice a fresh.
• For toasted brinjal: Cut the brinjal into slices. Place sliced eggplant in dry skillet and toast 30 seconds to 1 minute each side, so that the eggplant softens slightly and becomes golden brown in color