1kg boneless and skinless chicken thigh and leg meat
Bamboo skewers, soaked in cold water for 2 hours
1 cucumber, cut into small pieces
1 red onion, quartered
Oil, for basting
Chicken satay marinade:
3 tbsp oil
2 stalks lemongrass, white parts only
2 cloves garlic, peeled
6 small shallots, peeled
2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp chili powder
½ tbsp salt or more to taste
2 tbsp sugar or honey
Fresh cucumber and red onion, chopped into small pieces
Chicken satay peanut sauce:
For an easy take on the chicken satay peanut sauce, check out the ready-to-cook versions here.
- Cut the chicken meat into small cubes. Set aside.
- Blend all the he Marinade ingredients in a food processor. Add a little water if needed.
- For the chicken satay peanut sauce, please click here: satay sauce.
- Combine the chicken and the marinade together, then stir to mix well. Marinate the chicken for 6 hours in the fridge, or best overnight. When ready, thread 3-4 pieces of the chicken meat onto the bamboo skewers.
- Grill the chicken satay skewers for 2-3 minutes on each side until the meat is fully cooked and the surface is nicely charred, on both sides. Baste and brush with some oil while grilling. Heat up the ready-to-cook peanut satay sauce according to package instructions.
- Serve alongside the cucumber and red onions.