200g Crab Meat
2 Tomatoes (quartered)
2 tbsp Tomato ketchup
2 tbsp Tamarind
4 tbsp Water (for tamarind)
2 tbsp Vegetable oil
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp White sugar (if needed)
1 Egg (lightly beaten)
1 handful Cilantro*
1 handful Chives (chopped)*
1 Onion (medium)
3 Bird’s eye chillies*
3 cloves Garlic
5cm Fresh ginger
2 tbsp Taucheo*
*Available at your nearest FairPrice store.
- Preparing the tamarind
- Soak the tamarind pulp in water for 10-20 minutes.
- Next squeeze and mix the pulp well, then strain through a mesh sieve. Discard the seeds and pulp after.
- Heat oil in a large wok, then fry the paste for 2 minutes until it’s fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, water, ketchup, tamarind.
- Put in the crab meat, stir and cover to let it cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Taste and add salt if needed, or sugar if it’s too spicy.
- Put in the egg and mix gently for 20 seconds. Be sure to then turn the heat off so the egg won’t be scrambled.
- Garnish with the herbs and serve with fried mantou and chips.