2 Mud crabs
16 Fried mantou
Coriander leaves for garnish
5 tbsp Cooking oil
1 tsp Tau cheo
3 tbsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
5 tbsp Tomato ketchup
250ml Boiling water
2 Eggs (beaten)
5 Shallots (peeled)
5 cloves Garlic (peeled)
5 Red chillies (seeds removed)
8 Dried chillies (seeds removed & rehydrated in water)
1 stalk Lemongrass
2 tbsp Belacan (toasted)
- Clean crabs and remove gills. Cut into quarters. Set aside.
- Prepare sauce. Place all ingredients for chilli paste in a food processor and blend into a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium heat. Add chilli paste and stir-fry until aromatic.
- Add tau cheo, sugar, salt and tomato ketchup. Mix well.
- Add crabs and mix to coat crabs with sauce.
- Add boiling water and cover wok with a lid. Lower heat and simmer for 8–12 minutes, until crabs turn bright red.
- Slowly stir beaten eggs into sauce. Let cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Dish out and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with fried mantou.