600g Mixed mushrooms
3 cloves Garlic
2 sticks Celery
A few sprigs Fresh thyme
A few sprigs Fresh flat-leaf parsley
1.5 litres Organic chicken or vegetable stock
75ml Single cream
6 slices Ciabatta*
Extra virgin olive oil
*Available at your nearest FairPrice store.
- Brush the mushrooms clean, then finely slice.
- Peel the onion and garlic, trim the celery and finely slice everything. Pick the thyme and parsley leaves, and finely chop the parsley stalks.
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, add the onion, celery, garlic, parsley stalks, thyme leaves and mushrooms, pop the lid on and cook gently until softened.
- Spoon out 4 tablespoons of mushrooms, and keep for later.
- Pour the stock into the pan and bring to the boil over a medium heat, turn the heat down to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper, then whiz with a stick blender until smooth.
- Pour in the cream, bring just back to the boil, then turn off the heat.
- Toast the ciabatta on a hot griddle pan, then top with most of the reserved mushrooms and drizzle lightly with extra virgin olive oil.
- Spoon the soup into bowls, garnish with the chopped parsley and remaining mushrooms, and serve with the ciabatta crostini on the side.
Credit: Recipe © Jamie Oliver. Photography © Jamie Oliver Enterprises Limited, by Gus Filgate.