Nasi Kerabu with Ayam Percik
Dried Blue Pea Flowers
soaked in hot water
|1 1⁄2 cups|
1 cup of tamarind paste mixed with 2 tablespoons of water
freshly grated and toasted
Corn Flour Mixture
2 tablespoons of corn flour and 4 tablespoons of water
|2 1⁄2 tbsp|
for the blue pea flower
|2 1⁄2 cups|
torn roughly or shredded
Torch Ginger Bud
cut into thin strips
cut into small strips
blanched for 1 minute and cut into small pieces
How to cook
Prepare the blue rice
- Soak the blue pea flowers in 2 ½ cups of hot water.
- Remove the blue pea flowers from the water and pour the water into the rinsed rice.
- Soak the rice for 10 minutes.
- Add in kaffir lime leaves, galangal and lemongrass.
- Cook the rice as per package instructions.
Marinate the chicken
- Place the chicken legs in a mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric, 1 teaspoon of chilli powder, 1 teaspoon of coriander powder, ½ teaspoon of fennel powder, 1 teaspoon of cumin powder, 1 teaspoon of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of chicken stock together.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken leg and rub it evenly.
- Cover and transfer to the chiller then marinate for at least 1 hour.
Prepare the chicken
- Preheat the oven to 180°C for 20 minutes.
- Remove the marinated chicken from the fridge and let it sit in room temperature till the oven is ready.
- Transfer the chicken into the oven and bake it for 20 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, set it aside.
Prepare the chilli gravy
- In a blender, add in 1 thumb-sized ginger, 1 thumb-sized galangal, 1 thumb-sized turmeric, 10 cloves of garlic, 10 red chillis, 10 large shallots, 2 stalks of lemongrass, 10 candlenuts and 4 tablespoons of cooking oil, then blend till smooth.
- In a wok, add in the chilli paste and fry for 5-10 minutes till fragrant.
- Add in tamarind juice, coconut milk and chicken stock.
- Bring it to boil then reduce to medium heat.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix in salt, sugar and corn flour mixture.
- Pour the chilli gravy over the baked chicken leg and coat it evenly.
- Transfer the chicken leg into the oven.
- Use top heat and grill at 200°C for 15 minutes.
- If you like it more charred, you can grill it for a longer time.
Assemble and serve
- In a serving plate, surround the rice with Ayam Percik, fresh herbs or vegetables and other side dishes of your choice.
Tried this recipe? Rate it!
You may also like
Ayam Lemak Chilli Padi
Nasi Minyak and Sambal Prawns with Arabic Salad
Pulled Beef Rendang with Local Veggies Slaw
Roti Jala with Pengat Durian
Roti Jala with Chicken Curry
Ayam Goreng Kalasan
Oven Roasted Curry Chicken with Vegetables
Healthy Nasi Lemak
Chicken Rendang with Potatoes
Beef Rendang with Turmeric Rice
Kapitan Chicken Curry
Pulut Hitam Panna Cotta
Nonya Dry Mee Siam
Black Pepper Mutton
Pineapple and Starfruit Prata Galette
Homemade Laksa Noodles
Chocolate Button Cookies