chicken legs (bone-in and skin on)
whole black peppercorns
garlic cloves, crushed
spring onion, chopped for garnishing
How to cook
- Combine the soy sauce, vinegar, peppercorns, garlic and bay leaves with the chicken. Leave to marinate for at least 4 – 8 hours.
- Transfer the chicken in its marinade to the Dutch oven. Cover and roast the chicken skin-side up in the oven for about 35 – 40 minutes at 220°C.
- Remove the cover during the last 10 – 15 minutes to help make the skin crispy.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the oven after cooking. Set aside the chicken, leaving the marinade and juices in the Dutch oven.
- Mix together a slurry of coconut milk, cornstarch and water.
- Place the Dutch oven on the stove over medium heat. “Deglaze” the pan with the slurry and cook until the sauce is thickened and glossy for about 3 -5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and garnish generously with spring onions. Serve with some rice!
- If you do not have a Dutch oven, you can use any baking pan. However, ensure that it is covered tightly with aluminium foil and remove the foil during the last 10 – 15 minutes of cooking as well.
- You can choose to strain the sauce if you prefer not to have peppercorns in the final dish; for a less sour flavour, you can also reduce the amount of vinegar slightly.
You may also like
Chicken Karaage with Rice
One-Pot-Meal Recipe: Chestnut Chicken Rice
Xi’an Spiced Chicken with Fragrant Rice
Chicken Brown Rice
Beer Braised Chicken Nachos
Chicken Caesar Wraps
Chicken Karaage Bento (Inspired by the Singa Lion)
Chicken Broccoli Salad
Spicy Chicken Chilli Oil Noodles
One-Pot Hainanese Chicken Rice
Scrambled Eggs with Crispy Basil Chicken
Chicken Capsicum Rice Bowl
Rice-Cooker Salt Baked Chicken
Teriyaki Chicken Rice (Inspired by the Changi Airport)
Spaghetti Chili Garlic
Teriyaki Benja Chicken
Chicken Fried Rice with XO Sauce
Fragrant Rose Wine Chicken
Roasted Prawns with Seaweed Butter
Spicy Soba Noodles
Dry Laksa Udon with Tiger Prawns
Seafood Mala Xiang Guo
Crispy Noodles with Silky Seafood Sauce