Braised Pork Belly
Gathering more reviews
·Rate this recipe
Tight Fitting Tray
deep enough to fit the height of the belly, but should have only 1-2 finger spacing between the pork and the tray wall.
each stalk cut into 3
Light Soy Sauce
Dark Soy Sauce
How to cook
Prepare the oven
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Prepare the pork belly
- In a pot, add the pork belly and enough water to cover the pork.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat (about 10 minutes).
- Remove the pork belly and let cool.
- Cut each pork belly into 4-5cm cubes.
Prepare the sauce
- Add the Shao Xing, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, rock sugar, star anise and water into a pot.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce to a simmer until all sugar has melted.
- Layer the scallions followed by the ginger slice on the base of the tray (to prevent the pork from sticking).
- Place the pork belly cubes (skin side down) on top of the scallion and ginger layer.
- Pour the hot boiling sauce over the pork belly.
- Quickly cover the tray with aluminium foil and bake for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, flip the belly skin side up and continue baking for another 1 hour until tender.
- Remove the pork belly carefully into a saucepan and strain the sauce over it (just enough so the sauce is just below the pork fat).
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- Cook uncovered for 30 minutes, basting every 10 minutes until sauce is thickened and reduced to a third.
- Garnish with spring onion (optional), serve hot.
Tried this recipe? Rate it!
You may also like
Braised Chinese Mushrooms abalone chestnut fish maw in Oyster sauce
Easy & Healthy Tiger Roar Pen Cai
Coffee Pork Ribs
Prawn Paste Mushrooms & Shabu Rolls5.0 (1)
Baked Tiger Curry Puff with Kelly Luncheon Ham (Picante Pork)
Coca Cola Braised Pork Belly
Chinese Yam (Taro) and Pork Congee
Nai Nai Braised Pork
Ho-Ho-Hot Luncheon Meat Fries
Abundance & Prosperity Poon Choi
Thai Pork Ball Porridge
Braised South African Baby Abalone with Stuffed Onion
Braised Long Cabbage with Sweet Corn and Egg White Sauce
Lion Head Fish Maw Soup
Fried Mee Tai Mak
Steamed Egg with Pork and Salted Vegetables
Braised Herbal Chicken with Huiji Waist Tonic
Braised chicken wings with ginger and sesame oil