Brown Sugar Bubble Milk Tea
Light Brown Sugar
or muscovado sugar
sifted, prepare more for dusting
or muscovado sugar
How to cook
Prepare the milk tea
- Add the milk, tea bags and light brown sugar into a pot then heat it up until the milk starts to steam.
- Let the tea bags steep in the hot milk for 15-20 minutes before taking them out.
- When the milk tea is cool enough, transfer it into a jug or bottle, and keep it in the refrigerator until it is cold.
Prepare the tapioca pearls
- Pour the water and brown sugar into a small pot or saucepan, and bring it to a boil.
- Stir and make sure all the sugar has melted, turn down the heat to low, then pour the tapioca starch into the pot all at once.
- Stir the pot until everything is evenly mixed and a sticky brown dough forms.
- Cook the dough over very low heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent the bottom from burning.
- Scrape the dough out onto a clean work surface, and split it into 2 or 3 roughly equal portions.
- Take 1 of the dough portions, and cover the rest with a cloth or kitchen towel to prevent them from drying out.
- Roll out the dough portion into a long string (roughly ¼-inch thick) and cut it into ¼-inch pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough in between the palms of your hands and shape it into little spherical balls.
- After you roll each ball, dust it in some tapioca starch to prevent it from sticking.
- Repeat until you have rolled out all the dough.
- Ready a large pot of water, and bring it to a boil.
- Add in the tapioca pearls, and keep the water on a rolling boil for 20 minutes until the pearls are cooked through.
- Stir consistently in the beginning to prevent the pearls from sticking.
- Once the pearls start to float, only stir the pot once every few minutes.
- Once the pearls are cooked, transfer them into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process and firm up slightly.
Prepare the braising syrup
- Add the water and brown sugar in a small pot, and bring to a boil.
- Add in the chilled tapioca pearls, and turn the heat down to a slow simmer.
- Let the pearls braise for 20-25 minutes, until the braising liquid turns thick and syrupy.
- Keep the braising syrup warm after it’s done cooking.
Assemble and serve
- Tilt the glass or cup at a 45° angle, and place the tapioca pearls close to the lip of the glass, letting them slide down to the base.
- Repeat this on all sides to get a tiger stripe-like ripple effect, then add the ice cubes and milk tea.
Tried this recipe? Rate it!
You may also like
Super Green Smoothie
Basil Watermelon Slushie
Rudolph’s Frosty Margarita
Bubur Cha Cha (Inspired by the Dragon Playground)
Killiney Premium Kopi-O Cold Brew
Chrysanthemum Milk Tea with Chestnut Pearls
Blackcurrant Ice Cream
Energy Booster Smoothie
Honey Buih Thai Iced Tea
Tokyo, Japan Mocktail
Johnnie & Green Tea
Red Berry Tea Latte
The Milky Way
Gulab Jamun Parfait
Green Tea Fruit Smoothie
Iced Peanut Butter Coffee
Coconut Papaya Smoothie