How to cook
Prepare the cake
- Preheat the oven to 170°c. Line a 25x25cm square baking tin with baking paper.
- Beat the egg yolks in an electric mixer with sugar until it turns a pale colour. Add vegetable oil, water, vanilla essence, and beat for 1 min. Pour in the sifted cake flour; beat on low speed until thoroughly combined.
- Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl until it turns frothy. Add the beaten egg whites, sugar, and cornstarch to the electric mixer. Turn it up to high speed and continue beating until the mixture forms stiff peaks.
- Combine the egg white and egg yolk mixture carefully by folding it in three batches. Pour this into the lined baking tin, and bake in the preheated oven for 14 mins.
- Invert the cake. Allow to cool completely before cutting to layer in the jars.
Prepare the cream filling and syrup
- Add the sugar and whipping cream in a clean electric mixer, and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fill up a piping bag with the cream. Leave to chill in the fridge until ready for use.
- Combine the hot water and sugar in a separate bowl. Stir well, then set aside and allow the syrup to cool down.
Assemble together with fresh fruits!
- Cut the baked cake in a circle and place it at the bottom of each jar. Brush sugar syrup on the cake circle.
- Arrange the sliced kiwis around the jar. Pipe a layer of cream filling in the middle of each jar, then top with blueberries.
- Pipe another thin layer of cream filling over the blueberries. Top with another cut cake circle and gently press down.
- Repeat this until all the ingredients are used up. Using a spatula, spread the cream filling evenly at the top of each jar and cover with its lid.
- Keep the cake jars chilled until you want to serve them!
Tried this recipe? Rate it!