Chicken Karaage Bento (Inspired by the Singa Lion)
Japanese short grain rice
Red food colouring
Yellow food colouring
Japanese rice vinegar
Boneless chicken thigh, cubed
Light soy sauce
small floret Broccoli, chopped
sheet Japanese toasted seaweed
leaves of Lettuce
How to cook
Prepare the Rice
- Wash and cook the rice in the following portions:
- White rice: 435g of rice, 435ml of water.
- Bright orange rice: 145g of rice, 145ml of water, red and yellow food colouring.
- Add rice vinegar, sugar and salt to a pot and heat just until sugar is completely dissolved. Allow to cool.
- Once the rice is cooked, add in cooled vinegar solution.
Prepare the Chicken Karaage
- Marinate chicken with garlic, light soy sauce, salt, sake, pepper and egg, mixing well. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for 2 hours, best overnight.
- Coat chicken pieces evenly with potato starch.
- Heat up oil over medium-high heat. Deep fry until light golden (around 1½ minutes), flipping midway.
- Remove and place on wire rack to cool and drain excess oil.
- Prepare a second deep fry to purge excess oil and create a crispier skin. Heat up the oil over high heat.
- Fry for around 1 minute until the chicken turns a nice golden colour.
- Steam the crabstick and broccoli until soft.
- Shape the Japanese rice to form Singa’s face, hands, t-shirt, and heart. Wrap some rice in cling film and compress lightly into a ball, then shape into the various elements.
- Unroll the red section of crab sticks and wrap them around the heart shaped rice ball.
- Cut the Japanese seaweed using the provided template to achieve the details for Singa’s face and the words.
- Arrange the ingredients to form the bento.
You may also like
Stir Fry Chicken Noodles
Chicken Fried Rice with XO Sauce
Minced Chicken Rice Balls
Chicken Capsicum Rice Bowl
One-Pot-Meal Recipe: Chestnut Chicken Rice
Teriyaki Chicken Rice (Inspired by the Changi Airport)
Xi’an Spiced Chicken with Fragrant Rice
Teriyaki Benja Chicken
Fragrant Rose Wine Chicken
Chicken Broccoli Salad
Spicy Chicken Chilli Oil Noodles
Chicken Karaage with Rice
Rice-Cooker Salt Baked Chicken
Chicken Caesar Wraps
One-Pot Hainanese Chicken Rice
Beer Braised Chicken Nachos
Chicken Brown Rice
Spaghetti Chili Garlic
Scrambled Eggs with Crispy Basil Chicken
Roasted Prawns with Seaweed Butter
Just 5 Minutes: Pan Seared Salmon on Tomatoes
Rice Cooker Laksa Fried Rice