Hakka Abacus Seeds
cut into 2 cm cubes
|Pork Belly Marinade|
cut into bite-sized cubes
Fresh Black Fungus
cut into 3 cm strips
medium sized, diced
washed and chopped
Shao Xing Wine
Dark Soy Sauce
Chicken Stock Powder
How to cook
Marinate the pork belly
- Combine pork belly, corn flour, sesame oil, salt and white pepper in a bowl then set aside to marinate.
Prepare the yam dough
- Steam the yam for 25-30 minutes until very soft.
- Working quickly while still hot, mash the yam into a paste then mix in the tapioca flour and salt.
- Add the boiling water 1 tablespoon at a time and knead it until the dough comes together - add more water or flour if needed.
- The dough should not be sticky or have streaks of flour when it is ready.
Prepare the abacus
- Portion the yam dough into 5g pieces and roll them into balls.
- Make the signature indent by pressing the center of the ball with your thumb or index finger.
- Heat a pot of water over medium heat until boiling and prepare a cold water bath to cool the cooked abacus.
- Cook the abacus in boiling water until they float to top then cool them in the cold water bath to prevent the further cooking as we will still stir fry them.
- In a wok over medium heat, heat 3 tablespoons of cooking oil.
- Pan fry the marinated pork belly until brown and crisp on both sides then set it aside.
- In the same pan fry onion, garlic and dried shrimp until the onion turns translucent and fragrant (about 45 seconds).
- Deglaze the pan with Shao Xing wine.
- Add the drained abacus and pork belly back into the pan and stir fry with dark soy sauce, soy sauce, pepper and oyster sauce.
- Remove from heat then add in bean sprouts, black fungus and spring onion - mix to combine, letting the residual heat wilt the vegetables.
- Garnish with additional spring onion, crispy shallot and chilli if desired.
Tried this recipe? Rate it!
You may also like
Royal Fortune Stir Fried Ingot Rice
Mala Kou Shui Chicken
Chui kao shao cookies
Abalone in Oyster Sauce E-fu
Air-Fried Tang Yuan
Lotus Mooncake Cookies
CNY Hotpot Dipping Sauce
Spicy Peanut Noodles
Black Black Ee Mian
Golden Chef South African Baby Abalone with Korean Rice Cake
Ah Ma’s Achar
Thai Style Prawn Paste
Chicken and Ham Roulade with Plum Sauce
Healthy Yu Sheng
Steamed Garlic Prawns4.7 (3)
Seafood Pao Fan
Rice-Cooker Braised Chicken
Durian Min Jiang Kueh
Spicy Chicken Chilli Oil Noodles
Wok-Fried Tangy Prawns with Sesame Soy Dressing