Mini Chicken Satay (Inspired by the Singapore Flyer)
soaked in cold water overnight
Banana leaf (optional)
Red onion, sliced
|Rempah (Spice Blend)|
Lemongrass (white section only, sliced)
|3 3⁄4 tsp|
Skinless and boneless chicken thigh, cubed
1/3 of the Rempah spice blend
|2 1⁄2 tbsp|
Tamarind paste (assam)
2/3 of the Rempah spice blend
Dried chilli paste
|1 1⁄2 tbsp|
Coarsely ground peanut
How to cook
Prepare the Rempah
- Blend galangal, garlic, shallots and lemongrass in a food processor until fine.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Divide into ⅓ and ⅔ portions for the marinade and satay sauce respectively.
Prepare the Satay
- Marinate chicken with ⅓ portion of rempah and the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover with cling film and refrigerate for six hours, best overnight.
- Once ready, skewer 4-5 pieces through each satay stick.
- Place the satay on a pre-oiled grilling rack. Brush with oil and grill in preheated oven for about 6-8 minutes at 200 to 220°C.
- Flip, brush with oil again and grill for another 4 minutes until nicely charred.
Prepare the Satay Sauce
- Add warm water to tamarind paste and separate flesh from the seeds to make assam juice.
- In a wok, heat up the oil over medium-low heat. Add the remaining ⅔ portion of rempah and fry till aromatic.
- Add the dried chilli paste. Fry for another minute until the chilli oil starts to separate out.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Plate the banana leaves, satay, satay sauce, lontong rice and cucumber in the shape of the Singapore Flyer according to the picture.
You may also like
Kapitan Chicken Curry
Roti Jala with Chicken Curry
Chicken Rendang with Potatoes
Nasi Minyak and Sambal Prawns with Arabic Salad
Pulut Hitam Panna Cotta
Chef Siti Pasta Rempah
Ayam Lemak Chilli Padi
Sup Ekor (Oxtail Soup)
Ayam Goreng Kalasan
Chocolate Button Cookies
Pineapple and Starfruit Prata Galette
Watermelon Air Katira
Mug Date Cake
Pulled Beef Rendang with Local Veggies Slaw
Homemade Laksa Noodles (Halal)
Black Pepper Mutton