Nasi Minyak and Sambal Prawns with Arabic Salad
Pandan Leaf (knotted)
Evaporated Milk (unsweetened)
Coriander (for garnish)
Dried Red Chillies (deseed half, cut into 1 inch segments)
Large Onion (1/2 thinly sliced and the other 1/2 roughly chopped)
Prawn (deshelled and deveined)
Fresh Lime Juice
Large Cucumbers (deseeded and cut into 1cm cubes)
Tomatoes (deseeded and cut into 1cm cubes)
Red Bell Pepper (deseeded and cut into 1cm cubes)
Radishes (cut into 1cm cubes)
Fresh Parsley (washed and leaves only)
Green Onions (green part only)
Juice of Fresh Lemon
How to cook
- Start with the Nasi Minyak
- Turn on rice cooker and select “cook” function. Warm up for 2 minutes.
- Add in the melted ghee. After 10seconds, add in the lemongrass stalk, shallots, onion and ginger. Sauté until soft. Add in the garlic and gently fry.
- Stir in the star anise, clove, cardamom pods and cinnamon stick and continue frying until fragrant.
- Add in the pandan leaf and stir for 30 seconds before adding in the washed rice.
- Add the evaporated milk, water and salt into the pot. Mix well and once it bubbles, close the lid and cook as per normal white rice function.
- Once the rice cooker is done, set it to “keep warm” function. Open the lid, remove the spices before mixing in the turmeric with water mixture.
- Add in the raisins and coriander. Mix thoroughly.
- To serve, garnish with crispy shallots, more coriander and roasted cashews.
- How to make the Sambal Prawn
- Deseed half the red chillis and cut them into 1inch segments. Soak them in a bowl of hot water for 15 minutes to rehydrate.
- In a blender, add in the roughly chopped half portion of onion, garlic, shrimp paste and drained chillies. Blend into a fine paste and set aside.
- If the paste is too dry, you can drizzle in water until it forms a paste-like consistency.
- Heat up a wok and cook the half portion of sliced onions and sauté until soft.
- Add in the sambal paste and continue frying for 2 minutes.
- Add in the water, salt and sugar to the mix and bring it to a simmer. Reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes until sambal is reduced and thickened.
- Add in the prawns, bring the heat back up and cook for about 3 minutes until the prawns are cooked.
- Turn off the stove and stir in the lime juice before serving.
- How to make Arabic Salad
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the cucumbers, tomatoes, red bell pepper and radish.
- Chop a whole bunch of fresh parsley and add it into the mixing bowl.
- Add in the green onions (green parts only)
- Add in the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and black pepper. Toss your salad well to combine.
You may also like
Beef Rendang with Turmeric Rice
Pulled Beef Rendang with Local Veggies Slaw
Pineapple and Starfruit Prata Galette
Chicken Rendang with Potatoes
Mug Date Cake
Sup Ekor (Oxtail Soup)
Roti Jala with Chicken Curry
Roti Jala with Pengat Durian
Healthy Nasi Lemak
One Pot: Penang Prawn & Pineapple Curry
Honey Buih Thai Iced Tea
Chocolate Button Cookies
Ayam Goreng Kalasan
Kapitan Chicken Curry
Mini Chicken Satay (Inspired by the Singapore Flyer)
Watermelon Air Katira
Iga Penyet (Fried Beef Ribs)