PASAR Frozen Thawed Grey Prawns (deshelled & deveined, with the tail intact)
FairPrice Canola Oil
FairPrice Fine Salt
|Sweet and Sour Chilli Dipping Sauce|
Garlic Cloves (finely minced)
Red Thai Bird Chillies (finely minced)
Palm or Light Brown Sugar
Distilled White Vinegar
Fresh Lime Juice
|Wasabi Mayonnaise Dipping Sauce|
How to cook
Prepare the prawns and batter
- Wash the prawns and pat dry with a kitchen towel. Add the prawns to a mixing bowl and coat thoroughly with the seasoning, then set aside for 15 mins.
- Add the self-raising flour to another mixing bowl. Pour in the water slowly and mix until both ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Add the salt, white pepper, and canola oil and continue mixing until it becomes lump-free, smooth batter. The batter’s consistency should be slightly thick, not watery.
Deep fry the prawns
- Heat oil on high heat in a pot; it is hot enough when you dip a chopstick in and you can see bubbles floating upwards. Make sure that there is sufficient depth to cover the prawns fully.
- Coat the well-seasoned prawns with the batter and lower them into the pot gently to prevent any hot oil splatters.
- Deep fry a few prawns at a time for better control as they cook very quickly. It should be done once the batter puffs up and turns a beautiful golden brown.
Prepare the dipping sauces to serve!
- Pound all the ingredients for the Sweet & Sour Chilli dipping sauce in a pestle and mortar. Set aside.
- Combine all the ingredients for the Wasabi Mayonnaise dipping sauce, and set it aside as well.
- Drain away excess oil from the prawns and serve warm with both dipping sauces!
Tried this recipe? Rate it!
You may also like
Steamed Garlic Prawns4.7 (3)
5 Element of Paradise: Pineapple Prawn. Broccoli Prosperity. Lucky Tiger Fish. Chap Chye of Joy. Bowl of Wellness.
Wok-Fried Tangy Prawns with Sesame Soy Dressing
Sweet and Sour Prawns with Assorted Fruits
Steam-Fry Chicken & Prawn Dumplings
Eight Treasures Tang Yuan
Vegan Luncheon & Mushroom Canapés
Caprese Mushrooms & Tofu Kebabs
Chicken Karaage Bento (Inspired by the Singa Lion)
Seafood Pao Fan
Prawn Paste Mushrooms & Shabu Rolls5.0 (1)
Fruitful Sweet Prawns
Stir-fry Scallop Sauce Prawn with Broccoli
Cake in a Jar5.0 (2)
Spicy Peanut Noodles
Love Bug Pie
Singapore-Style Chilli Tiger Prawns and Mussels