Pulled Beef Rendang with Local Veggies Slaw
cut into 2-3 cm chunks
Kaffir Lime Leaves
Fresh Coconut Milk
diluted with water
2-3 cm each and peeled
How to cook
- Toast cumin, fennel and coriander seeds with star anise, cloves and cinnamon in a dry frying pan over medium heat until fragrant.
- Place toasted spices in a food processor together with onions, garlic, ginger, all the chillies, a knob of galangal, candlenuts, and 3 of the lemongrass stalks.
- Blend until fine paste forms. Add a dash of water if the paste is too thick, but not as fine. Set aside.
- Drain excess water from the beef and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place on a tray and sprinkle liberally with salt to tenderize the beef and help it absorb the flavours.
- Set aside until the “rempah” is ready.
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC.
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, add enough vegetable oil to cover the base of the pot.
- Once the oil is hot, add the rempah and saute until it has dried up, or when the oil starts to separate from the paste.
- This takes 15–20 mins on medium to low heat.
- Add the remaining lemongrass stalk and galangal, as well as the turmeric and lime leaves. Saute for another 5 mins.
- Add beef and stir to coat with the “rempah” before pouring in the coconut milk.
- Stir once more, cover the pot, then place in the oven and cook for 2 hrs.
- Stir the rendang after an hour. Scrape the bottom of the pot to ensure nothing sticks, then cover the pot to finish the cooking.
- Remove the rendang from the oven.
- Add the tamarind juice and season with salt to taste.
- Use two forks to shred the meat into pulled pieces.
- Serve as burgers with brioche bread and local veggie slaw.
You may also like
Crispy Noodles with Silky Seafood Sauce
Wok-fried Mee Sua with Tiger Prawns
Roast Beef Sliders
Stir-Fry Basil Pork with Rice & Egg
Beef Fried Rice
Beef Rendang with Turmeric Rice
Steak with a Peppery Mushroom sauce
Spaghetti Chili Garlic
Octopus Carpaccio with Kimchi Cream
Prosperity Fish Hor Fun with Fragrant Oil
Chicken Karaage with Rice
Chicken Fried Rice with XO Sauce
Roasted Salmon and Vegetables with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce
Happiee K-Bagel Fishiee Patty Burger with Kimchi Slaw
Indian Style Mee Siam with Fresh Prawns
Spaghetti with Salmon and Pesto Genovese
One-Pan Pasta with Canned Tomatoes
Grilled Striploin Steak with Garlic Butter Mushroom
Chicken Rendang with Potatoes
Roti Jala with Chicken Curry
Iga Penyet (Fried Beef Ribs)
Roasted Prawns with Seaweed Butter
Sustenir Pasta Salad with Lemon Pesto Dressing