Pulled Beef Rendang with Local Veggies Slaw
cut into 2-3 cm chunks
Kaffir Lime Leaves
Fresh Coconut Milk
diluted with water
2-3 cm each and peeled
How to cook
Prepare spices (rempah)
- Toast cumin, fennel and coriander seeds with star anise, cloves and cinnamon in a dry frying pan over medium heat until fragrant.
- Place toasted spices in a food processor together with onions, garlic, ginger, all the chillies, a knob of galangal, candlenuts, and 3 of the lemongrass stalks.
- Blend until fine paste forms. Add a dash of water if the paste is too thick, but not as fine. Set aside.
- Drain excess water from the beef and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place on a tray and sprinkle liberally with salt to tenderize the beef and help it absorb the flavours.
- Set aside until the “rempah” is ready.
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC.
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, add enough vegetable oil to cover the base of the pot.
- Once the oil is hot, add the rempah and saute until it has dried up, or when the oil starts to separate from the paste.
- This takes 15–20 mins on medium to low heat.
- Add the remaining lemongrass stalk and galangal, as well as the turmeric and lime leaves. Saute for another 5 mins.
- Add beef and stir to coat with the “rempah” before pouring in the coconut milk.
- Stir once more, cover the pot, then place in the oven and cook for 2 hrs.
- Stir the rendang after an hour. Scrape the bottom of the pot to ensure nothing sticks, then cover the pot to finish the cooking.
- Remove the rendang from the oven.
- Add the tamarind juice and season with salt to taste.
- Use two forks to shred the meat into pulled pieces.
- Serve as burgers with brioche bread and local veggie slaw.
Tried this recipe? Rate it!
You may also like
Chinese Braised Australian Beef Oxtail with Daikon
Beef Rendang with Turmeric Rice
Hokto Mushroom & Beef Bibimbap
Stir Fried Australian Beef Knuckle with Spring Onion & Ginger
Bulgogi Grilled Australian Beef Striploin
Stir Fried Spicy Kimchi Australian Beef Rump
Sambal Australian Beef Short Rib Stir Fry
Pan Seared Australian Beef Denver Steak with Tomato Herb Cream Sauce
Teriyaki Stir Fried Australian Beef Eye Round
Light and Bright Beef Stew5.0 (1)
Braised Australian Beef Oxtail with Tomato
Pan Seared Australian Beef Ribeye with Rendang Sauce
Braised Australian Beef Short Ribs with Shallots
Chicken Rendang with Potatoes
Stir Fried Australian Beef Ribeye with Sambal Kicap Manis
Pan Seared Australian Beef Flank Steak with Rendang Sauce
Gong Bao Australian Beef Short Ribs