Pulled Beef Rendang with Local Veggies Slaw
cut into 2-3 cm chunks
Kaffir Lime Leaves
Fresh Coconut Milk
diluted with water
2-3 cm each and peeled
How to cook
Prepare spices (rempah)
- Toast cumin, fennel and coriander seeds with star anise, cloves and cinnamon in a dry frying pan over medium heat until fragrant.
- Place toasted spices in a food processor together with onions, garlic, ginger, all the chillies, a knob of galangal, candlenuts, and 3 of the lemongrass stalks.
- Blend until fine paste forms. Add a dash of water if the paste is too thick, but not as fine. Set aside.
- Drain excess water from the beef and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place on a tray and sprinkle liberally with salt to tenderize the beef and help it absorb the flavours.
- Set aside until the “rempah” is ready.
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC.
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, add enough vegetable oil to cover the base of the pot.
- Once the oil is hot, add the rempah and saute until it has dried up, or when the oil starts to separate from the paste.
- This takes 15–20 mins on medium to low heat.
- Add the remaining lemongrass stalk and galangal, as well as the turmeric and lime leaves. Saute for another 5 mins.
- Add beef and stir to coat with the “rempah” before pouring in the coconut milk.
- Stir once more, cover the pot, then place in the oven and cook for 2 hrs.
- Stir the rendang after an hour. Scrape the bottom of the pot to ensure nothing sticks, then cover the pot to finish the cooking.
- Remove the rendang from the oven.
- Add the tamarind juice and season with salt to taste.
- Use two forks to shred the meat into pulled pieces.
- Serve as burgers with brioche bread and local veggie slaw.
Tried this recipe? Rate it!
You may also like
Wok-fried Mee Sua with Tiger Prawns
Nasi Minyak and Sambal Prawns with Arabic Salad
Crispy Baked Salmon with Tartar Sauce
Sustenir Pasta Salad with Lemon Pesto Dressing
Octopus Carpaccio with Kimchi Cream
Nasi Kerabu with Ayam Percik
Roasted Capsicum Paneer Masala with Basmati Rice
Chicken Karaage with Rice
Roti Jala with Pengat Durian
Easy & Healthy Tiger Roar Pen Cai
Chicken Rendang with Potatoes
Roasted Salmon and Vegetables with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce
Biryani Rice Bowl
Stir-Fry Basil Pork with Rice & Egg4.0 (1)
Steak with a Peppery Mushroom sauce
Grilled Striploin Steak with Garlic Butter Mushroom
Baby’s First Bolognese Sauce
Seafood Hor Fun
Braised chicken wings with ginger and sesame oil
Dry Laksa Udon with Tiger Prawns
Crispy Noodles with Silky Seafood Sauce