Softshell Chilli Crab Gua Bao
Lotus Leaf Buns
Spring onions and/or coriander for garnishing
|Softshell Chilli Crab|
Softshell Crabs (rinsed and gently patted to dry)
FairPrice Canola Oil
Ground black pepper to taste
Salt to taste
CHEF China Garlic
Chilli Padi (optional to amp up the spice)
PASAR Old Ginger (Prepacked)
Lemongrass (the white part only, bruised and sliced)
Gula Melaka (brown sugar works fine too)
Taucheo (bean paste)
FairPrice Tomato Ketchup
Vegetable or Chicken Stock
How to cook
Prepare the softshell crabs for deep frying
- Mix the all-purpose flour, rice flour, salt and ground black pepper well in a shallow bowl. Set aside.
- In a pan, pour in canola oil and bring to medium-high heat. Coat softshell crabs in the flour mixture lightly and tap away any excess flour. Deep fry until they turn golden brown, then set them aside to cool on a drying rack.
Prepare the spice paste
- Make the spice paste (rempah) by adding all the ingredients to a blender and mixing until you get a fine and smooth consistency. Pour in a tablespoon of water each time if it becomes too dry.
- Heat 1 tsp of canola oil in a clean pan over medium heat. Once the oil begins to smoke, add the spice paste and fry until fragrant.
- Add the ingredients for the chilli sauce except the stock, making sure that you mix them well with the spice paste.
- Add the vegetable or chicken stock and continue mixing. After this, you’ll want to turn down the heat to allow the sauce to simmer for 2-3 mins.
- Pour in the beaten eggs. Swirl them in the sauce very gently with a ladle. Go in one direction only so the eggs don’t scramble; once the eggs look cooked, turn off the heat.
Prepare the lotus leaf buns for assembly
- Steam lotus leaf buns according to the packaging instructions. Assemble by placing each crab into each bun and drizzling it with the chilli sauce.
- Garnish with spring onions, coriander or even some sliced chilli padi if you like it really spicy! Serve warm.
You may also like
Xi’an Spiced Chicken with Fragrant Rice
Spaghetti Chili Garlic
Braised Prawns, Crab Meat & E-Fu Noodles In Oyster Sauce
Iga Penyet (Fried Beef Ribs)
Indian Style Mee Siam with Fresh Prawns
Beer Braised Chicken Nachos
Seafood Hor Fun
Spicy Salmon Bibimbap
Seafood Mala Xiang Guo
Chicken Capsicum Rice Bowl
Fragrant Rose Wine Chicken
Spicy Soba Noodles
Salted Egg Yolk Chee Cheong Fun
Baby’s First Bolognese Sauce
Fried Mee Tai Mak
Salted Egg Yolk Seafood Boil
Stir-Fry Basil Pork with Rice & Egg
Prosperity Fish Hor Fun with Fragrant Oil
Rice Cooker “Claypot” Rice
Tom Yam Pasta
Spicy Chicken Chilli Oil Noodles
Rice Cooker Laksa Fried Rice