Softshell Chilli Crab Gua Bao
By Nicole Chia
Gathering more reviews
·Rate this recipe
Lotus Leaf Buns
Spring onions and/or coriander for garnishing
|Softshell Chilli Crab|
Softshell Crabs (rinsed and gently patted to dry)
FairPrice Canola Oil
Ground black pepper to taste
Salt to taste
CHEF China Garlic
Chilli Padi (optional to amp up the spice)
PASAR Old Ginger (Prepacked)
Lemongrass (the white part only, bruised and sliced)
Gula Melaka (brown sugar works fine too)
Taucheo (bean paste)
FairPrice Tomato Ketchup
Vegetable or Chicken Stock
How to cook
Prepare the softshell crabs for deep frying
- Mix the all-purpose flour, rice flour, salt and ground black pepper well in a shallow bowl. Set aside.
- In a pan, pour in canola oil and bring to medium-high heat. Coat softshell crabs in the flour mixture lightly and tap away any excess flour. Deep fry until they turn golden brown, then set them aside to cool on a drying rack.
Prepare the spice paste
- Make the spice paste (rempah) by adding all the ingredients to a blender and mixing until you get a fine and smooth consistency. Pour in a tablespoon of water each time if it becomes too dry.
- Heat 1 tsp of canola oil in a clean pan over medium heat. Once the oil begins to smoke, add the spice paste and fry until fragrant.
- Add the ingredients for the chilli sauce except the stock, making sure that you mix them well with the spice paste.
- Add the vegetable or chicken stock and continue mixing. After this, you’ll want to turn down the heat to allow the sauce to simmer for 2-3 mins.
- Pour in the beaten eggs. Swirl them in the sauce very gently with a ladle. Go in one direction only so the eggs don’t scramble; once the eggs look cooked, turn off the heat.
Prepare the lotus leaf buns for assembly
- Steam lotus leaf buns according to the packaging instructions. Assemble by placing each crab into each bun and drizzling it with the chilli sauce.
- Garnish with spring onions, coriander or even some sliced chilli padi if you like it really spicy! Serve warm.
Tried this recipe? Rate it!
You may also like
Black Chickpea Salad
Seafood Mala Xiang Guo
Spicy Soba Noodles5.0 (1)
The Better Fish® Spicy Barramundi with Avocado and Corn Salsa
Salted Egg Yolk Seafood Boil
Cheesy Chicken Kimchi Noodles
Crispy Noodles with Silky Seafood Sauce
Braised Sea Cucumber, Scallops and Roast Pork Claypot
One-Pan Pasta with Canned Tomatoes5.0 (1)
The Four Kings
Spicy Chicken Chilli Oil Noodles
Spaghetti Chili Garlic
Sweet Potato Abacus Seed Aglio Olio
Iga Penyet (Fried Beef Ribs)
Tom Yam Pasta
Chef Siti Pasta Rempah
Chicken Capsicum Rice Bowl
Pulled Beef Rendang with Local Veggies Slaw
8 Treasure Seafood Platter