2 garlic cloves
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp cumin
½ – 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
Tin of chopped tomatoes
Tin each of chickpeas, kidney beans, and black beans
Salt and pepper
Coriander, for dressing*
Serve with: Bread
*Available at your nearest FairPrice store
Simmered in a rich tomato sauce, this Easy Bean Stew is mopped up with a chunky piece of fresh bread. It’s perfect for vegans and vegetarians! If you can’t find the paprika as stated in this recipe, it can be substituted with cayenne pepper or any kind of chilli powder.
- Peel and roughly chop the onion, garlic and carrot. Add to a food processor and blend until finely chopped.
- Heat up a large pan with some oil and add the vegetables. Stir fry for a few minutes until softened.
- Add in the spices, pouring in a dash of water if needed.
- Next add the chopped tomatoes, then fill this can up with some water and add it into the pan to stir it through.
- Drain, rinse and add all the beans.
- Season with salt, pepper, and bring to a boil. Simmer for at least 15 – 20 minutes; if you’re in more of a rush, continue cooking for an hour to develop the flavour and spices. Add in any water if the stew needs it.
- When the stew is ready to serve, top it with some roughly chopped coriander if you prefer.
Recipe courtesy of Madeleine Olivia.