1 Pasar Jumbo Fresh Chicken*
2 pcs Lotus Leaves (blanched)*
3 cloves Garlic (minced)
50g Whole Salted Soy Beans
2 pcs Red Chilli Padi (halved lengthwise)
200g Bitter Gourd (cut into thick strips)*
200g Pineapple (cut into thick strips)*
2 pcs Big Red Chillies (seeds removed, cut into chunks)
150ml Chicken Stock
1 tbsp Sugar
1 tbsp Cooking Oil
Corn Starch (mixed with water)
Big Red Chillies (for garnish)
Coriander (for garnish)*
Spring Onions (for garnish)
*Available at your nearest FairPrice store.
- Remove spare parts from chicken cavity. Rinse and clean chicken.
- Blanch 2 lotus leaves in hot water and rinse.
- Stack lotus leaves. Place chicken, belly down on the leaves.
- Season both inside and outside of chicken with salt. Set aside.
- In a heated frying pan, add oil and sauté garlic, whole salted soy beans and red chilli padi till fragrant.
- Add bitter gourd and pineapple, and fry for 2 mins over medium-high heat.
- Add big red chillies and chicken stock, then bring to a boil.
- Add sugar before thickening with corn starch.
- Pour mixture over chicken and wrap firmly with lotus leaves. Fold aluminium foil into a long strip, wrap foil around the leaves to secure.
- Steam for 45 to 50 mins.
- Remove from steamer. Unwrap foil and lotus leaves before serving.
- Garnish with coriander, spring onions and big red chillies.