50g of butter (preferably President*)
1 puff pastry*
120g almond powder
½ tsp almond essence*
100ml low-fat milk
40-50g sugar (depending on taste)
200ml fresh cream (preferably Payson Breton*)
Plain flour, for dusting
2 tbsp apricot jam (preferably Bonne Maman)
1 tsp water, boiled
*Available at your nearest FairPrice store
This exquisite French classic is brought to you by chef Jennifer Seet-Pescheux. A self-taught artisan who also specialises in handcrafted wedding and anniversary jewellery, her meticulous eye for the finer details has translated beautifully into her cooking. Despite only delving fully into her career as a private fine dining chef this year, she continues to tease palates with her tantalising culinary creations as a specialist in both French and Asian cuisine!
- Melt butter and let it cool.
- Whisk egg with sugar until well mixed,
- Whisk egg with sugar until the mixture is white. Add milk, cream, butter, almond powder, almond essence and whisk until smooth.
- Core and slice the apples into half a centimetre.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C as you roll out the puff pastry on a floured counter to fit a non-stick tart pan.
- Spread the almond paste evenly on the pastry.
- Decorate the apple on top and bake for 1 hour or till slightly browned.
- Mix the apricot jam and water well. Glaze the finished tart with a baking brush.
- Let the tart cool and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Bon appétit!