3 Red apples (~300g), peeled, cored
20g Unsalted vegan butter
1 tbsp Ground cinnamon
1 tbsp Zest of a lemon
56g Vegetable oil
1 tsp Vanilla extract
30g Plain non-dairy yogurt
1/2 tsp Salt
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
85g All-purpose flour
Handful of chopped walnuts (for garnish)
- First prepare the cake batter. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the sugar and lemon zest together. Add eggs and whisk until creamy.
- Incorporate the oil slowly while whisking. Add the plain non-dairy yoghurt and vanilla extract, then mix well.
- Add in the flour, salt and baking powder. Whisk to combine and set aside to rest.
- Peel, core and cut the apples into 2cm-thick slices.
- Get a frying pan on low heat. Add in the butter and let it melt and coat the pan. Add in the sugar and cook until it just dissolves.
- Remove from heat immediately and arrange the apple slices to cover the base. Sprinkle cinnamon on the apples. Add in the cake batter, ensuring all sides are covered evenly.
- Cover and cook for 10 – 12 mins on low heat or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 mins and turn it upside down onto a serving platter. Garnish with chopped walnuts.