Ginger-Scented Egg Custard with Grouper

Serving 2 pax
Preparation Time 30 mins
Skill Easy

500g grouper (or other fresh seafood of your choice, such as prawns)
1 tsp fried shallots
1 stalk of spring onion, chopped
3 eggs
1 bowl of chicken stock or hot water
2 tsp ginger juice
Soya sauce and salt, to taste
Cooking oil, to taste

  1. If you’re cooking with a grouper, clean it and remove all bones thoroughly. Slice fillet into large chunks.
  2. Lightly beat eggs with a pair of chopsticks to mix evenly, then take note of its amount in the holding bowl.
  3. Add about 150% of chicken stock or hot water (as compared to the amount of egg mixture), and season with salt and ginger juice to taste.
  4. Pour 80% of the mixture into a wide surface bowl that’s not too deep. Steam it for about 3-4 minutes under high heat till it starts to form into a custard. Remove from steamer, add fish or seafood of your choice evenly, then pour the rest of the 20% egg solution.
  5. Return to the steamer and steam for another 4-5 minutes till cooked.
  6. Pour some soya sauce and cooking oil on top to taste, then top it with a little fried shallots and spring onion.
  7. Serve hot immediately.

To ensure a great steamed egg custard, use about 150 -180% of stock or hot water when compared to the amount of eggs (e.g. 1 bowl of egg and 2.5 bowls of chicken stock). For those that are wary of their cholesterol levels, the eggs can be substituted with egg whites!

Browse Recipes