12 Chicken mid-joint wings
Cooking oil for deep-frying
2 tbsp Fine shrimp sauce
1 tbsp Sugar
1 tbsp Sesame oil
2 tbsp Chinese rice wine (hua tiao jiu)(optional)
1 tbsp Oyster sauce
1/2 tsp Ground white pepper
6 tbsp Plain flour
6 tbsp Potato starch
1/4 tsp Baking powder
1 Egg, beaten
- Place chicken mid-joint wings in a bowl. Add ingredients for marinade and mix well.
- Transfer wings to a resealable plastic bag, seal and place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 4 hours.
- Prepare batter. Combine ingredients for batter and mix until batter is smooth.
- Add marinated wings to batter and mix well.
- Heat sufficient oil for deep-frying in a wok over medium heat. Add wings and deep-fry until golden brown. Keep oil at 180°C while frying wings.
- Wings will start to float in 4–5 minutes when they are done. Remove and drain well. Serve.