1.5kg Prawns (heads and shells reserved)
200g Pork belly
4 Slices ginger
2 Medium squid
Pork lard as needed
600g Round yellow noodles
300g Fresh thick bee hoon
300g Dried bee hoon (soaked to soften)
2 tsp Dark soy sauce
4 tsp Light soy sauce
4 tbsp Minced garlic
2 Fish cakes (sliced)
40g Bean sprouts (trimmed)
100g Chinese chives (cut into 5cm lengths)
Sambal belacan to taste
2 tbsp Cooking oil
3 cloves Garlic (peeled & sliced)
3 Shallots (peeled & sliced)
2 litres Boiling water
1 tbsp White peppercorns
80g Ikan bilis (rinsed)
30g Rock sugar
1 tbsp Fish sauce
1kg Pork bones (rinsed)
- Rinse and peel prawns. Set prawns aside. Reserve shells and heads for use in stock.
- Prepare stock. Heat in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and shallots and stir-fry until fragrant.
- Add prawn heads and shells and stir-fry until fragrant.
- Add boiling water, peppercorns, ikan bilis, rock sugar, fish sauce and pork bones. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and let simmer for 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, blanch pork belly in a pot of boiling water with ginger. Drain and slice into small strips. Set aside.
- Clean squid and slice. Set aside.
- Strain stock and return to a boil. Lightly blanch squid, then prawns, in stock.
- Stir-fry each portion of Hokkien noodles separately.
- Heat 2 Tbsp pork lard in a hot wok. Add a beaten egg and stir-fry quickly.
- Add a quarter each of the yellow noodles, thick bee hoon and thin bee hoon and stir-fry again quickly to mix. Add a little dark soy sauce for colour.
- Push noodles to one side of wok. On the other side of wok, add 1 tsp light soy sauce and stir-fry 1 tbsp minced garlic with a little more lard.
- Add a quarter portion of squid, prawns, pork belly and fish cake. Add 125 ml stock and a quarter of bean sprouts. Stir-fry with noodles and mix well. Cover wok and leave to cook 3 minutes.
- Add a little dark soy sauce for color if needed. Add a handful of chives and stir-fry to mix.
- Dish out to a serving plate. Repeat to prepare another 3 servings.
- Serve with sambal belacan and cut limes on the side.