16 Shallots (minced)
2 stalks Lemongrass (slice the tender part)
3 cloves Garlic (crushed)
1 medium Galangal (peeled and chopped)*
1 medium Ginger (peeled and chopped)
12 dried Red chillies (soaked and coarsely chopped)
5 fresh Red chillies (sliced)
2 tsp Belacan (roasted)
1 tbsp Turmeric powder
1 tbsp Coriander seed
120ml Peanut oil
4 tbsp Vegetable oil
400g Fish cake (thinly sliced)
600g medium Prawns (shells removed)
900g Fresh thick vermicelli*
600g Bean sprouts
150g Dried shrimp*
1L Thick coconut milk*
2 tbsp Fish sauce
Sugar & salt (to taste)
Laksa leaves (finely chopped)*
*Available at your nearest FairPrice store.
- Pound the paste ingredients with a food processor until you get a smooth paste.
- Cook the fish cake and prawns in a pot of boiling water, then put them aside.
- Blanch the vermicelli and bean sprouts, then drain and divide into bowls.
- Top off with the prawns and fish cake.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat, then fry the paste for 5-10 minutes. Add in the dried shrimp and fry till dark brown.
- Add the paste and coconut milk in a pot. Bring it to a rolling boil, then season the broth with fish sauce, sugar and salt.
- Ladle the broth into the bowls and serve with finely chopped laksa leaves and sambal belacan.