140g Butter (cold and cubed)
75g Granulated Sugar
75g Brown Sugar
315g Plain Flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Salt
300g Lotus Seed Paste
Lotus Seed Paste:
100g Dried Lotus Seeds (soaked, cored and boiled)
1 1/2 tbsp Water
40g Oil (a neutral one will do)
40g Granulated Sugar
1 tbsp Honey
1/4 tsp Salt
- In the bowl, add the cubed cold butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Mix on medium speed with a hand mixer until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Add the eggs and whisk on medium speed until evenly combined. Add the baking powder, vanilla extract, and salt. Mix until evenly combined before mixing the flour in 2 parts.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces and flatten into discs. Leave to chill in the refrigerator for 1-2 hrs.
- In a bowl, soak the lotus seeds overnight. Boil it to soften, then strain and leave them to cool down. Cook it with water, oil and sugar until it forms a paste. Set aside. When cooled, roll them into dough balls of roughly 10g – 15g.
- Take the dough out to defrost to room temperature. Roll a dough ball of lotus paste and place it in the middle of the dough. Wrap the dough around the paste and make sure that there are no holes. Use your hands to gently press them into discs.
- Line the air-fryer with a sheet of parchment paper and lay the cookies on top of it. Make sure that they are evenly spaced out as they will spread and increase in size as they bake.
- Bake at 160°C for 15-20 mins. Set aside to cool before serving.