2 cups Plain Flour
½ cup Greek Yoghurt
4 tbsp Butter (Room Temperature)
½ tsp Salt
2 tbsp Greek Yoghurt
1 cup Shredded Cheese
Salt and Black Pepper (To Taste)
2 Spring Onions
2 tbsp Canola Oil
2 Red Chillies or Chilli Padi
Light Sour Cream* (To Serve)
*Available at your nearest FairPrice store
- Mix the flour, salt and egg. Continue mixing with butter and yoghurt until the dough becomes a slightly rough, sticky ball.
- Knead and fold the dough without adding flour until it is less sticky, yet retains some moisture.
- Cover in cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 mins.
- Boil the skinned and cubed potato until soft. Mash cheese and yoghurt into the potato, then season with salt and black pepper.
- Roll and flatten the dough into thin sheets, then use a 5cm wide and round cutter to cut into circles.
- Place 1 ½ teaspoons of the filling on each dough circle. Gently fold over to pinch before sealing with a fork.
- Boil the pierogi. Remove from the water once it floats to the surface, then pat dry and pan fry until golden brown.
- Slice the shallots thinly and fry them in some canola oil.
- Garnish with fried shallots, red chillies and spring onions. Serve with some light sour cream on the side!
Tip: If you prefer a softer crust, use water instead of egg for your dough. Boiling before frying helps to seal up the pierogi and prevent leakages. Pierogi is great for freezing. You can make a larger batch and keep some uncooked pierogi in your freezer, too!