80g Fine granulated sugar
100g Gula Melaka, finely grated
125g Butter, softened
150g Semi-sweet chocolate chips
200g All-purpose flour
½ tsp Baking soda
½ tsp Sea salt
¼ tsp Sea salt flakes for sprinkling
1 tsp Vanilla essence
- In a large mixing bowl, add granulated sugar, Gula Melaka, softened butter, egg and vanilla essence.
- Beat with a mixer until smooth and thoroughly combined. Small chunks of Gula Melaka might be visible.
- Add flour, baking soda and sea salt. Stir and fold to mix well.
- Stir in chocolate chips until it spreads evenly in the batter.
- Refrigerate batter for about 20 mins.
- Heat oven to 190°C and line baking tray with baking paper.
- Once the batter has chilled, remove it from the fridge and use two regular teaspoons to scoop up some batter to form balls of dough that are 1 teaspoon in size.
- Place balls of the cookie dough 5 cm apart on baking sheet to allow for spreading.
- Sprinkle some sea salt flakes on top of each cookie.
- Bake for approximately 8 – 10 mins.
- Once baked, rest cookies on the baking sheet for 5 mins before removing and transferring to a cooling rack to cool.