40g Dried Anchovies
1 tbsp Whole White Peppercorns
2 pieces Dried Cuttlefish
300g Prawn Heads
1 Garlic Bulb (Peeled)
1 Ginger (thumb-size and peeled)
1 tbsp Rock Sugar
1/2 cup Bittergourd (Thinly Sliced)
1 tbsp Cooking Oil
1 cup Fresh Prawns (Deshelled)
1 cup Fresh Clams (with shells)
1 litre Water
2 cups Cooked White Rice
1/2 cup Day-Old Cold Rice (puffed rice)
Crispy dried shallots
- Dry fry the dried anchovies and whole white peppercorns until fragrant. Set aside to cool before placing both ingredients in an empty disposable tea bag or sachet.
- Add the cooking oil and fry the dried cuttlefish. Set aside the cuttlefish once done.
- Fry the prawn heads for 2-3 mins. Once cooked through, use a spatula to crush the prawn heads and release more flavour.
- Add the dried anchovies, whole white peppercorns, garlic, ginger, cuttlefish and water into the same pot. Simmer for 1 hr then remove the ingredients. Cook the bittergourd, prawns and clams together.
- Spread out the day-old damp rice thinly on parchment paper. Place it in the air fryer to cook at 200°C for 15 mins on one side and 180°C for 15 mins on the other side.
- Place 1/2 cup of cooked white rice and distribute the prawns and clams evenly among each serving bowl. Garnish with the puffed rice, coriander and dried shallots.