50g Baby spinach
50g Basil leaves*
1-2 Garlic cloves, peeled
15g Sunflower seeds
25-30g Extra-virgin olive oil
2-3 tbsp Parmesan Cheese, grated (optional)
1-2 tsp Lemon juice, freshly squeezed
Pinch of Sea-salt (optional)
*Available at your nearest FairPrice store.
- Wash & spin dry baby spinach and basil leaves.
- Place spinach, basil and garlic cloves in the food processor and blend until finely chopped.
- Add the sunflower seeds and drizzle half of the olive oil and puree until desired consistency and scrape down the sides of the jar.
- Transfer the prepared pesto into a clean bowl and season with sea-salt.
- Add the grated parmesan, lemon juice, and the remaining olive oil, stir well.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Top 3 ways of using pesto:
- Pasta sauce
- Pizza topping
- Sandwich spread
Tip: This pesto is excellent to use as a pasta sauce. Stir cooked pasta with prepared pesto, tumble in some fresh cherry tomatoes or other vegetables and you are good to go!