2 handfuls Wild mushrooms
1 clove Garlic
1 tsb Black peppercorns
1 splash Brandy (optional)*
2 x 175g Quality sirloin steaks
A few sprigs Fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tbsp crème fraiche*
*Available at your nearest FairPrice store.
- Wipe clean and roughly slice all the mushrooms, then peel and finely slice the garlic. Crush the peppercorns.
- Heat a splash of oil in a large frying pan on a high heat, add the mushrooms and fry for 3 minutes, or until golden.
- Add the garlic, crushed peppercorns and a pinch of sea salt, then cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Pour over the brandy (if using), and fry for 1 minute, or until the liquid has cooked away, then turn the pan off and set aside.
- Place a clean frying pan on a high heat to get screaming hot.
- Drizzle the steaks with a little oil, and season well with salt and black pepper, then rub all over.
- Place the steaks into the hot pan and cook to your liking: 1 to 2 minutes on each side for medium rare, 2 to 3 minutes for medium and 4 minutes for well done.
- Meanwhile, pick and roughly chop the parsley.
- Once cooked, remove the steaks to a warm plate to rest.
- Turn the pan down to low, add the crème fraîche, a splash of water and the parsley and mushrooms, then heat through for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring well to mix through all the lovely meat juices.
- Serve the steak drizzled with peppery mushroom sauce, and the sides of your choice.
Credit: Recipe © Jamie Oliver. Photography © Jamie Oliver Enterprises Limited, by Gus Filgate.