200g chicken broth*
150g pork mince (add an egg if its from a leaner cut)
20g spring onions, both the green and white stem chopped
20g shallots, finely chopped
15g salted vegetables (like pickled mustard)
10g garlic, finely minced
10g Chinese cooking wine (also known as “shao tsing”)
10g soy sauce
Pinch of ground white pepper
Chopped coriander leaves and stems, to garnish
*Available at your nearest FairPrice store
- Marinate the pork mince with Chinese cooking wine and soy sauce. Mix thoroughly with the spring onions, shallots, salted vegetable, garlic and white pepper.
- Whisk the chicken broth and eggs together. Strain the egg mixture through a sieve to remove air bubbles and into a ceramic bowl or any vessel that can be used for steaming food.
- Wrap the bowl in cling film and steam for approximately 15 mins.
- When the egg mixture has set, gently add the minced pork mixture on top of the custard-like egg mixture.
- Cover the bowl and steam for an additional 5 minutes, or until the pork mince mixture is thoroughly cooked.
- Remove from heat and garnish with the chopped coriander leaves and stems before serving!
Recipe courtesy of Ethel Hoon.