FairPrice Finest Stories
3 Hearty Soups For The Soul
A bowl of piping hot soup has always been a source of comfort for most people. Soups come in punches of flavours. Whether you’re looking to create a chunky, savoury soup or a spicy minestrone, here are three types of soup that are sure to satisfy your tastebuds!
Bacon and Tomato Soup
Based upon the caramelisation of streaky bacon, onions and red peppers, the aroma created within the first ten minutes of making this soup is a telltale sign of the flavours to come. It’s sweet, tangy and creamy, with savoury slivers of bacon – this soup is comfort food at its best. If you're going for the home run, just melt a slice of white cheddar over some crusty bread for the ultimate giant grilled cheese crouton.
Broccoli & Cheese
If you haven't found a way for the kids to eat their veggies, this isn't going to fail you. Tastily thickened with both a roux and broccoli, this soup uses a blender to great effect for a creamy soup. Seasoned with cheddar cheese and a dash of nutmeg, all that's missing for a meal fit for cosy weather are some garlic paprika soldiers.
Tom Yum Garden Minestrone
If you're into lighter soups, this garden minestrone goes to town on the vegetable section, and brings a spectrum of textures in a single bowl of soup. We're talking butternut squash, zucchini, corn, and even garbanzo beans.
Spiked with tomyum paste, and drizzled with crustacean oil based from baked prawn heads and shells, minestrone will never taste the same again.
Bacon & Tomato Soup
Makes 4 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
|Medium Red Bell Peppers||2|
|Large Red onion||1|
|Tomato Paste||3 tbsp|
|Smoked Paprika||1 tbsp|
|Diced Plum Tomatoes with Basil and Oregano and Garlic||1 can|
|Chicken Stock||2 cup|
|Chopped Fresh Basil|
For Grilled Cheese Croutons:
Your Choice of Crusty Bread
- Fry bacon in large skillet, and get as much colour as you can, occasionally scraping the pan and tearing it in the process.
- Add butter and a small amount of oil. Sauté onions and peppers until soft (about 7-8 minutes).
- Add garlic, tomato paste and paprika. Fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and chicken stock.
- Bring to boil and leave to simmer for 10-15 minutes before stirring cream in.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Fold in fresh basil before serving.
- For grilled cheese croutons, cut slices of white cheddar and top on crusty bread. Toast in oven for 6-8 minutes.
Use bacon as the base and get as much colour on it as you can without burning them. Don’t worry about it getting stuck to the pan, scraping it gets it broken into little chunks and they become lovely gems in the soup.