1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
50g Onion, finely chopped
20g Celery, chopped
1 small clove Garlic, crushed
1 medium Carrot (approx 85g), peeled and grated
100g Lean Minced Beef
150ml Passata / Tomato Puree
100ml Unsalted Stock* or boiling water
¼ tsp fresh Thyme Leaves or a pinch of dried thyme
3 tbsp baby pasta shapes
*Available at your nearest FairPrice store.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion and celery over a low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the grated carrot and sauté for 4 minutes.
- In a separate pan, dry fry the minced beef until browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add to the onion and carrot. Pour over the tomato sauce, boiling water or stock and add the thyme.
- Cover and cook over a low heat for about 12 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and pulse for a second or two in a blender to make a smoother texture.
- Meanwhile, cook the baby pasta according to the packet instructions.
- Drain and mix with the Bolognese sauce.
Recipe courtesy of Annabel Karmel