1.2 kg beef, chopped into chunks
1 packet of instant rendang sauce
200ml coconut milk
1 cup basmati rice, rinsed and drained
1 tbsp coconut oil (or unsalted butter)
½ tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Sauté instant rendang sauce with 1.2 kg of beef chunks in a deep frying pan on medium heat until aromatic.
- Pour in 300ml of water and stir-fry for 20 minutes.
- Add in 200ml of coconut milk and simmer on low heat until the beef chunks are tender and the gravy thickens.
Turmeric rice in rice cooker
- Combine the basmati rice and all other ingredients.
- Cook using the ‘white rice’ function (or regular function if there is not a white rice option).
- Fluff with a fork before serving with the beef rendang.
- In a medium pot, combine the basmati rice and all other ingredients.
- Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer (covered) for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for another 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork and serving with the beef rendang.