400g Chilled Australian Beef Shin Shank (1 inch cubed)
30g Ginger (sliced)
2 pieces Star Anise
1 piece Cinnamon Stick
3 pieces Dried Orange / Tangerine Peels
40ml Light Soya Sauce
15ml Dark Soya Sauce
30g Oyster Sauce
20g Rock Sugar
5g Potato Starch
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and blanch the Beef Shin Shank Cubes for 1 minute and strain off liquid.
- In a braising pot, add oil on a medium heat and lightly sauté ginger slices till fragrant (1min).
- Next add in star anise and cinnamon stick and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the blanched beef cubes, dried orange peels, light soya sauce, dark soya sauce, oyster sauce, water and rock sugar.
- Bring the pot of ingredients to a boil and turn down the heat, covering the pot to simmering for 2 hours.
- Once done cooking, create a slurry of potato starch and thicken sauce. Ready to serve.
Recipe from Meat & Livestock Australia, Created by Chef Edward Siew