German Meatballs with Mustard Gravy
Gathering more reviews
·Rate this recipe
chicken or pork
How to cook
Prepare the meatballs
- Stir fry the red onions with 1 teaspoon of salt until light brown (about 2 minutes) then set them aside to cool to room temperature.
- Combine the fried onions with minced meat, fresh coriander, mustard, egg, plain flour, milk and black pepper.
- Form the meatball mixture into balls then set aside in the fridge to firm up for 10 minutes.
- In a pan over medium heat add 3 tablespoon of oil, brown the meatballs on each side (about 1 minute per side) and remove from the pan.
- Alternatively, you can bake the meatballs in a preheated oven at 190°C (top & bottom heat, fan on) for 20-25 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through.
Prepare the mustard gravy
- In a pan, add butter and garlic and cook until garlic has softened.
- Whisk in the flour, mixing it constantly for 45 seconds so it does not burn.
- Add in the beef stock to deglaze the pan and add in the mustard, soy sauce, milk, salt and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then add the meatballs and simmer for 5 minutes.
Assemble and serve
- Serve the meatballs browned to perfection and smothered in the creamy gravy sauce.
- Garnish with sauerkraut, chopped coriander and sour cream if you desire.
Tried this recipe? Rate it!