4 White-spotted Rabbit Fish (known in Teochew as “Bair Tor Hir”, descaled and gutted)
2 cloves Garlic (shelled and minced)
5g Fresh Ginger (sliced and cut into strip)
2 tbsp Peanut/Sunflower Oil
2 tbsp Shaoxing Rice Wine
5 tsp Chinese Fermented Soy Bean Paste
Salt and White Pepper Powder (to taste)
- Wash the fish well, especially the stomach as it can be very bitter. Rub with salt and white pepper powder and marinate for about 15 minutes.
- Place fish on a steam-proof plate which is indented so that it can contain the rising fluid level after steaming. Pour oil and rice wine over the fish. Add about 200ml of water. Spread the soy bean paste over the fish. Sprinkle the garlic and ginger over them. Bring the steamer to boil and place the plate in it.
- Steam for about 8 minutes.
- Prepare the dipping sauce by putting the ingredients together. Serve in a small dish.
- Once the fish is ready, bring it out of the steamer and garnish with spring onions and coriander.
- Serve with the dipping sauce.