For Flour Mix:
220g Plain flour
1 tsp Baking powder
½ tsp Salt
4 Egg whites
1/4 tsp Cream of tartar (with 1/2 tsp lemon juice)
75g Icing sugar
For Cake Mix:
250g Salted Butter, room temperature
100g Icing sugar
4 Egg yolks
3 tsp Pomelo zest, to taste
75ml Pomelo juice, squeezed (minimal large pulp)
- Sift Flour Mix. Set aside.
- Meringue: Whip egg white with cream of tartar until big foamy bubbles start to form. Add in icing sugar gradually, a couple of tablespoons at a time. Whip until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Cake Mix: Beat butter & icing sugar until butter turns to a pale yellow and doubles in volume. Add egg yolks one at a time and beat well to combine before adding the next. Add in remaining zest and juice and mix well.
- Add in Flour Mix to the Cake Mix in 4 batches, making sure flour is mixed in before adding more. Be careful not to over mix the batter.
- Fold in ¼ of the meringue to the cake mix to lighten the mixture. Fold in the remaining meringue in two batches to ensure the mixture retains the fluffiness.
- Pour into a greased & lined cake pan and tap on the tabletop a couple times to remove large air bubbles. Smooth the top and bake at 170°C for 45 – 50 mins until the top is light brown. When you poke the center with a toothpick, it should come out clean with no batter stuck to it.
- Let the cake rest on a wire rack for 10 – 15 mins or until room temperature. Serve with a dusting of icing sugar & zest and cream on the side and enjoy!