1/3 cup Chopped red onion
1/4 cup Chopped cilantro
Juice of 1 large lime
1 (16-ounce) can of vegetarian refried black beans (No sodium version)
MEAT VERSION: 1 lb of lean hamburger meat OR chicken OR shrimp
16 Whole wheat tortillas
Vegetable or canola oil for pan
Delish served with avocado, guacamole, chopped greens, cilantro, shredded cheese, salsa and lime wedges
(This is also a great dish to sneak in finely chopped veggies!)
- In a bowl, stir the red onion, chopped cilantro and lime juice. Set aside and make sure to stir occasionally.
- In a large pan, heat ¼-inch of oil over medium heat. Working with one tortilla at a time, spread 1 large tablespoon of refried black beans and 1/2 tablespoon of the onion, cilantro and lime mixture evenly along one side of the tortilla (Note below hamburger meat version). Gently roll the tortilla tightly beginning on the side with the filling. You can use a toothpick to secure the tortilla so it doesn’t unroll while cooking. I try to roll 4 tortillas then placed them in the hot pan and roll 4 more while the others were cooking until they are all finished.
- Hamburger meat version: In a separate pan, brown 1 lb hamburger meat (make sure it’s broken into small pieces and cooked all the way through). When filling the tortillas, spread around 1-2 tablespoons of meat as well. You can make with shredded chicken or chopped shrimp – whatever your family prefers!
- Place the rolled tortillas seam side down in the hot oil and cook. When you’re ready to rotate, remove the toothpick and rotate with tongs until they are golden brown on all sides (about 4-5 minutes per batch). Continue to cook the rest of the tortillas in batches, adding more oil as needed. Serve with guacamole, lettuce or spinach, shredded cheese, salsa and lime wedges. YUM!
- Freeze for the week and pop in the oven to heat up. Wrap in foil to keep warm!