500g Boneless Chicken Legs (Cubed)
6 big pieces of Cabbage
1 Small Sweet Potato (or halve a big one)
1 stalk Green Onion
1 Green Chilli
8 Perilla Leaves*
10 Sticky Rice Cakes
3 tbsp Gochujang (Korean chilli paste)
4 tbsp Chilli Powder
4 tbsp Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
2 tbsp Sugar
2 tbsp Cooking Wine
2 tsp Garlic (Chopped)
1 tsp Sesame Oil
1 tbsp Chicken Stock
Pinch of ground black pepper
*Available at your nearest FairPrice store
- Mix all the sauce ingredients first.
- Cut the cubed chicken breasts into smaller, bite-sized pieces if necessary and marinate with the sauce. Put the marinated chicken into the fridge for a minimum of 20 mins.
- Slice the onion, cabbage and green onion. Cut the sweet potato into sticks. Wash the rice cakes and set aside.
- Heat up a wok and drizzle some vegetable oil.
- Put in the sweet potato, cabbage, onion, green onion, rice cakes and marinated chicken. Cover the wok for a while so the cabbage is a little soggy. Continue frying until chicken is cooked through.
- Put in the perilla leaves, mix once more and eat!
Notes from the chef, Jin Yin Ji: This dish is simple. You only need to make the sauce to marinate the chicken before frying it together with the vegetables. Wrap some in perilla leaves and eat them for a more flavourful meal! If perilla leaves are unavailable, you may substitute it with lettuce instead.
When the dish is about to be finished, you can add rice, seaweed, kimchi, and sesame oil. Stir in with the leftover sauce to enjoy a whole new dish!