1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
4 Chicken Breasts/Thighs (skin-on with bones removed)
1 tbsp Rendered Chicken Fat (or vegetable oil)
1 tbsp Young Ginger (Minced)
1 clove Garlic (Minced)
1 Shallot (Sliced)
1 cup White Jasmine Rice
1 cup Chicken Stock (Low-Sodium)
2 Spring Onions
Spring Onion Oil:
1/2 cup Spring Onions (Sliced)
1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
Salt to taste
- Rub the skin-on chicken with the kosher salt and set aside.
- In a pan or pot with a lid, heat up the chicken fat or oil. Add the ginger, garlic, and shallot. Cook, stirring, until fragrant. Stir in the rice and fry gently until glossy.
- Add chicken stock, then place the chicken, skin-side up, in the pan. Add the spring onions on top. Bring to boil over medium-high heat and when it starts to simmer, cover and turn the heat down to low. Cook for 17 mins. Turn off the heat and leave it to rest for 10 mins.
- While the rice is cooking, make the spring onion oil: place the spring onion in a deep heat-proof bowl and set aside.
- In a small pot, heat 1/4 cup oil over medium heat. Remove the pot from the stove and very carefully pour over the green onions – they will sizzle and bubble up. Stir in some salt to taste.
- When the 10 min rest time is up, remove and discard the spring onions. Remove the chicken and slice evenly.
- Fluff up the rice and serve with thinly sliced cucumbers and spring onion oil. Serve immediately!