4 pieces Braised Abalones (diced)
2 Russet Potatoes (large sized, peeled and cubed)
1 Egg (large sized, beaten)
½ Yellow Onions (large sized, minced)
½ cup Plain Flour
½ cup Panko
¼ cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1 tbsp Butter
1 cup Oil
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
- Prepare the mashed potatoes
- Add cubed potatoes to cold water, season with salt and boil until soft.
- Mash the cooked potatoes while they are still hot, to release steam.
- Allow mashed potatoes to cool down.
- Start cooking
- Add butter to a pan, then sauté onions until soft.
- Add in the diced abalone and fry until well mixed – make sure the mixture is relatively dry to prevent explosion when frying the croquettes.
- Add the abalone mixture to the mashed potatoes, add mozzarella.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste – some brands of mozzarella can be quite salty, so season accordingly.
- Shape the mixture into patties, pressing down on the mixture to make sure they are as compact as possible.
- Dredge the patties in flour, making sure to remove as much excess flour as possible, then in the beaten egg and finally in panko.
- In a frying pan, heat oil.
- When the oil is hot enough, add the patties and cook until the panko crust turns golden brown.
- Serve the patties with some shredded cabbage and tomatoes, drizzle some mayo and/or bulldog sauce over (optional).
- Eat them when they are hot for the cheese-pull!